What is Hantavirus? Everything you should know about the Virus is here
Hantavirus also known as hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a deadly respiratory disease which is caused by a virus, Sin Nombre found worldwide. Hantavirus is spread to people by rodents and if anyone gets in contact with their saliva, droppings or urine. Hantavirus was first found in 1993 from then is well-known in the United States. There is no vaccine for hantavirus.
— Mr. Black 🇵🇰 (@leo554323) March 25, 2020
— 하나 🍬 (@innohana) March 24, 2020
Recently reports of a death due to hantavirus in China has created a panic among everyone when the entire world is dealing with pandemic coronavirus. A man from Yunnan, the province in china tested positive with the hantavirus and died on his way back to Shandong province on 22nd March 2020. Also, as per a global times report another man from the city is found positive with hantavirus.
— U B A I D (@LeghariUbaid) March 25, 2020
Is Hantavirus dangerous like Coronavirus?
— Arslan Hidayat (@arslan_hidayat) March 25, 2020
Hantavirus is not a new virus as it has been around a while. according to the US centre for disease control (CDC) hantavirus comes from a family virus that is transmitted through rodents. Hantavirus reaches your lungs through your respiratory system. It then overspread small blood vessels known as capillaries resulting in leakage. The lungs get filled with fluid that can give birth to many respiratory disorders.
Has hantavirus originated from China? NO, there are many cases from other parts of the world including north and south America and Korea.
Hi dear friends plz open your eyes and see what the fact truly is.
• Hanta Virus is NOT A NEW VIRUS but have been existed for hundreds of years. In 1993 it occurred wide in the USA.
• Vaccines can well prevent it and human-to-human transmission is VERY LIMITED. pic.twitter.com/81x7ON991p
— EmFang (@emmafang510) March 24, 2020
Symptoms of Hantavirus
— Billion_Gang (@donkano30) March 25, 2020
Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome has 2 stages – initially, it shows flu-like symptoms such as fever and chills, headaches and muscle aches, vomiting, diarrhoea or abdominal pain where one cannot differentiate it from influenza, pneumonia or other viral conditions. After 4-10 days you may see severe symptoms like cough, breath shortness, low blood pressure, lungs forming fluid, low heart rate etc. You have to be careful with the symptoms of hantavirus as they may become worse if unnoticed. The symptoms of hantavirus are similar to coronavirus but it is non-communicable like coronavirus where it transmits by humans to humans.
The best prevention would be to stay away from rodents and keep them away from your home or nearby.
Steps to Prevent hantavirus
— tomarishinnosuke (@AbamYiee) March 25, 2020
You can take the following steps to prevent hantavirus from spreading:
- Stay away from places where rodents live or leave droppings
- Cover your face with a mask and wear gloves to avoid any kind of exposure to rodent droppings
- Do not leave food in your house as rodents may dive on it later
- Wear rubber gloves and a mask that covers your nose and face during exposure to mouse droppings
- Spray sanitizer in the areas with mouse droppings
- Seal all the holes in your home so that rodents do not turn them into their homes
- Catch and trap rodents to prevent their growing population in the house
Do not panic. Hantavirus is a non-communicable disease and does not transmit to a person unless they come in contact with rodents droppings, saliva or urine. It is different from coronavirus. If you have any questions regarding hantavirus, you are free to ask them all below. Stay safe!